Acid reflux, a kind of digestive disorder occurs when stomach fluids flows into the esophagus. If left untreated, the disease gets aggravated. Make sure you visit a doctor whenever you experience heartburn. There are a number of complications of acid reflux that should not be overlooked at any cost. Let us have a closer look at some of the complications that are associated with this digestive disorder.
- It might be difficult for you to sleep at night. Painful conditions like heartburn can give you sleepless nights. A disturbed sleep gives rise to other complications as well. You might experience headache, find it difficult to take decisions and concentrate on a particular thing. If you experience these symptoms for more than 2 weeks, it is very important that you are consulting a doctor and letting him know about the discomforts you are experiencing.
- Difficulty in swallowing food is another complication that is associated with this digestive disorder. It becomes difficult to swallow even the smallest size of foods as the esophgagus gets narrowed.
- GERD or gastroesophagal reflux disease aggravates when left untreated for long. Apart from heartburn, patients often complain of cough and cold, pain in chest and breathing troubles.
- Complications of acid reflux can turn extremely fatal and can create cancer like circumstances as well. There are several instances when patients suffer from cancer in esophagus or larynx.
- Esophagitis is another condition that arises due to accumulation of acids in esophagus. The inner sensitive lining of the esophagus gets burnt in course of time. This eventually leads to blood and tarry tools while the patient is coughing.
So, these are some of the complications of acid reflux. With the different kinds of diagnostic measures available these days, it has become easier to detect this digestive disorder in the very early stages. Doctors these days employ very easy testing methods that can identify the root cause and alleviate discomforts in the very early stage.
If you want to get a detailed insight about the complications of acid reflux, you can fill in the following information box and develop a better understanding about the severity and complications of the disease if left unattended.
So, arm yourself with the right knowledge and look ahead to a brighter tomorrow.